The Akaka Falls zipline tour sets a new standard for family fun and adventure, as you soar along the Big Island’s famed Hamakua Coast. This course located near Akaka Falls is a 7 line course guided by two specially trained professionals who will “talk story” with you about Hawaii’s land and culture. The last line on the course is Hawaii’s longest line of over 3,000ft! The main event of the tour is feeling the rush of gliding effortlessly through the air with the KoleKole Falls (just down stream of Akaka Falls) cascading beneath your feet. The Kolekole Falls is one of the world’s most magnificent waterfalls, plummeting nearly 250 ft. The Kolekole Falls is a privately owned waterfall only visible by the Akaka Falls zipline course. This experience is unforgettable with jaw-dropping scenery, adventure, and fun!
The Akaka Falls Skyline Adventure is the first and most experienced zipline operator within the United States. Skyline has nearly 2 million safe zipline crossings at multiple locations, making the Akaka Falls zipline the most trusted zipline operation on the Big Island.
Skyline Eco-Adventures was named “Hawaii Eco-Tour Operator of the Year” for 2004 by the Hawaii Eco-tourism Association. They have also been voted one of the “Best Places to Work” by Hawaii Business Magazine for 3 years in a row. In addition, Skyline Eco-Adventures has recently been featured on the Travel Channel on shows such as “Little People, Big World”, “The Kids Are in Charge: Family Vacation”, and on PBS on a show called “Equitrekking”.
What to Know
Daily except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day
Tour Times: 10:00am, 11:00am, 12:00am (seasonal)*, 1:30pm, 2:30pm
*The 12:00pm tour time is offered June 7 – August 31.
Check in: 30 minutes before scheduled departure time. Tours depart promptly as scheduled.
Tour Length: Approximately 2 and 1/2 hours, depending on the group size.
Hiking Distance: Approximately 1 mile (sometimes in hot conditions)
Group sizes: 1 – Minimum, 12 – Maximum
- All participants MUST weigh between 80-260lbs. This helps us regulate the speed of each customer, and has nothing to do with the strength of our gear. Customers will be weighed on site.
- Customers MUST be physically able to hike 1 mile over uneven terrain in hot conditions.
- Customers with serious neck, back, or joint injuries or chronic heart problems should consulte their doctor about their capabilities to safely participate in this activity.
- All customers are REQUIRED to sign a release and waiver of liability prior to taking the tour.
- Customers MUST be 10 years or older. All customer under 18 must have a legal guardian sign for them.
- No pregnant customers.
- Absolutely NO SMOKING is allowed on tour.
- Customers MUST wear hiking boots or athletic shoes.
- Shorts and a short-sleeve t-shirt are recommended (due to regularly hot weather at this location). SUNSCREEN is highly recommended. White clothing is NOT recommended.
- Customers need to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to their tour’s departure time. Tours operate on a schedule and cannot wait for late customers.
- It is recommended that customers not participate if they have had recent surgery or have any serious back or joint problems.
- If a customer is booking on behalf of another person or group, it is their responsibility to inform each participant of these restrictions.
On occasion, we may need to close the course due to high winds or heavy rain. If this is the case Skyline Eco-Adventures will attempt to notify customers, and will either reschedule the tour or provide a refund of the tour price. If weather conditions appear to be bad please call to check if the tours are running, as weather in other areas of the island is often very different than our weather, at the course. Never assume that a tour is cancelled. The tours operate is almost all weather conditions.
Driving Directions: Skyline Eco-Adventures 28-1710 Honomu Road, Honomu, HI 96762
Take Route North out of Hilo for approximately 13 miles. Turn left on Rte 220/Honomu Rd. (after 13-mile marker) toward Honomu and drive approximately 1/2 mile. Skyline Eco-Adventures is located in a white building on the right-hand side of the road at the top of the hill. This drive takes approximately 20-30 minutes from Hilo.
Take HI-19 North out of Waikoloa toward Waimea/Honokaa and follow for approximately 60 miles. Follow signs for Akaka Falls and turn right on Rte 220/Honomu Rd. (after 14-mile marker) toward Honomu. Drive approximately 1/2 mile. Skyline Eco-Adventures is located in a white building on the right-hand side of the road at the top of the hill. This drive takes approximately 75-90 minutes from Waikoloa.